Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Luke's 1st Trip to the Dentist


Yesterday I took Luke for his first trip to the dentist! He was SUCH a good boy! All the dental assistants and hygienists just loved him.

I got my teeth cleaned at the same time, so I could hear him talking (loudly) in the next room. He got to squirt "Mr. Water" around the room, play with "Mr. Thirsty" that sucks all the spit out of your mouth, and have his teeth polished with "Mr. Toothbrush" which tickled his gums.

It's certainly a good thing that Luke had a good first experience because we will be back at the dentist on a regular basis for the rest of the year. Unfortunately, the cavity report was not good. Every single one of his eight molars had cavities...6 of them will require root canals! Ugh! I can't even begin to explain how horrible that makes a mother feel! Between Luke's strong will and disdain for having his teeth brushed as a baby, to his insatiable thumb sucking habit, to some bad genetics, his poor little mouth is rotten!

Now that he is older and can understand the consequences, I believe he will take better care of his teeth and allow us to help him do that. I am praying his "grown up" teeth will come in healthy and stay strong!!

No comments:

Post a Comment